The Elephant Gate is the most famous building on the Carlsberg Brewery site. It is especially known for its gate, where visitors are greeted by four life size elephants.
The initial idea for the tower came from Carl Jacobsen, working in close collaboration with Vilhelm Dahlerup. It was inspired by Bernini’s obelisk-carrying elephant in the Minerva Square in Rome and by the organ façade in Our Saviour's Church. The elephant is a symbol of loyalty and strength and characterises Carl Jacobsen’s Latin motto "Laboremus pro patria" - We work for our country.
THE DIPYLON GATE
The Dipylon Gate with the bell tower is part of a double gateway and was originally built to house two malting floors and malt was loaded in and out of carriages through tubes in the gate ceilin. It also has a bell tower featuring Stephen Sinding’s artwork The Bell Strikers.
The reverse of the gate depicts Carl and Ottilia Jacobsen and their eldest son Alf, together with the architect, the master builder and a brewery employee and a brewery worker.
The gate is inscribed with the “Golden Words", first used by JC Jacobsen in his will, but later adopted by Carl Jacobsen.
“In working the brewery it should be a constant purpose, regardless of immediate gain, to develop the art of making beer to the greatest possible degree of perfection so that this brewery as well as its products may ever stand out as a model and, through their example, assist in keeping beer brewing in this country at a high and honourable level”.
Carlsberg’s beer is still brewed according to these principles.
|Ny Carlsberg Vej
NY CARLSBERG BREW HOUSE
The Brew House is a prime example of Carl Jacobsen's desire to create an extraordinarily beautiful working environment at Carlsberg. It dates from 1901 when it replaced a smaller brew house, which can still be seen on the opposite side of the road.
The building's facade has a balcony modelled to resemble those in the Palazzo Bavilaque in Verona. On the roof is a large copper sculpture by CJ Bonnesen entitled “Thor’s battle against the giants”. The group of figures was actually a competition proposal for the fountain at Langelinie, which was won by Anders Bundgaard’s Gefion group. Carl subsequently asked Bonnesen to produce a copy for the Brew House.
|Ny Carlsberg Vej
||Vilhelm Klein/Carl Harild
THE WINDING CHIMNEY
Carl Jacobsen wanted to show that a chimney for an industrial plant could be beautiful in its own right, so he brought in architect Vilhelm Dahlerup and master builder PS Beckmann. Their 56m tall winding chimney features motifs of Egyptian lotus flowers while, on the plinth, replicas of the Chimeras (Gargoyles) from Notre Dame in Paris look out over the city of Copenhagen. This unique chimney is no longer in use.
|By the Boiler House
||Carl Jacobsen & Vilhelm Dahlerup
THE CARLSBERG MUSEUM
In 1882 Carl Jacobsen opened the Carlsberg Museum, containing his collection of fine arts, to the public. This created the foundation for what would later become the New Carlsberg Glyptotek. Carl called the collection "Glyptotek" to signify that it was not a museum, where the antique figures should be regarded from an historical viewpoint, but rather a place where they should live in their own beauty.
The collections quickly grew and by 1895 a total of 19 rooms had been constructed for the museum. Vilhelm Dahlerup built the first 14 rooms up to 1893, while the later additions were built by Hack Kampmann, who also rebuilt the original winter garden. The collection moved to the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek in two stages - the modern collection in 1896 and the antique collection in 1906.
In 1915, Carl’s son, Vagn, established the Carlsberg Museum to tell the story of the Jacobsen family and the Carlsberg Foundation. Today the Carlsberg Museum can be booked for events and conferences.
|Valby Langgade 1
|Vilhelm Dahlerup/Hack Kampmann
THE LIGHT HOUSE AND THE STAR GATE
The Lighthouse and the Star Gate were built in 1883 and marked the main entrance to Old Carlsberg on Pasteursvej.
When electric lights were introduced in the brewery in 1882, electricity was not widely available in Copenhagen. As the tower had easy access to sufficient power, it came to be used as a Lighthouse.
The Gate is named after the twelve-pointed star which was Old Carlsberg’s original trademark. It was registered by JC Jacobsen in 1881 in the newly established trademark register.
The dates inscribed on the pillars commemorate the years 1847 – the first brew, 1867 – when Old Carlsberg burned down, 1870 – the building of the Annex Brewery, and 1883 – the building of the Gate.
THE OLD BREWERY
The Old Brewery, where JC Jacobsen founded Carlsberg, was constructed in collaboration with the architect HC Stilling. Opened in 1847, it comprised a brew house, a storehouse and a half-timbered stable block. JC Jacobsen named the brewery “Carlsberg” after his son Carl and the "berg" (Danish for "hill") on which it was built.
Various extensions were added up until 1867, when the brewery and the granary burnt down. The whole complex was rebuilt the same year, this time using iron in the supporting structures.
The buildings and industrial plant were renovated in 1982 and the brewery was opened to the public. In 1999, the site became part of Visit Carlsberg and is now open to visitors from all over the world.
|Gl. Carlsberg Vej
||J.C. Jacobsen/H.C. Stilling
THE CARLSBERG LABORATORY
The Carlsberg Laboratory was established in 1875. Its purpose was to increase the scientific understanding of the malting, brewing and fermenting processes, and it has been responsible for several groundbreaking scientific discoveries, including the pH scale.
In 1884, JC Jacobsen gave the estate on Gl. Carlsberg Vej 10 to the Laboratory and financed the construction of its new building, designed by architect FC Thomsen in the Italian renaissance style. The Carlsberg Laboratory was opened on 10 November 1897– the brewery’s 50th birthday. The statue of JC Jacobsen in front of the Laboratory was unveiled at the same time.
The building currently houses the Carlsberg Laboratory's chemistry department. More at www.carlsberglab.dk
|Gl. Carlsberg Vej 10
THE CARLSBERG ACADEMY
In his Will, JC Jacobsen stated that, after he and his immediate family had passed away, his house should be used as an honorary residence for a deserving man or woman within the fields of science, literature or art.
Since then, the house has been home to many famous guests, including Albert Einstein. Its first resident was the philosopher Harald Høffding. He was followed by the atomic physicist Niels Bohr, who lived here from 1931 to 1962. The last resident was sinologist Søren Egerod. When he left the house in 1995, the Carlsberg Foundation decided to convert the house into the Carlsberg Academy.
The house is built in the classical Italian villa style and JC Jacobsen himself designed its heating/ventilation system. The English-inspired park dates from 1848 and was planned by landscape gardener Rudolph Rothe in accordance with JC Jacobsen’s ideas. It includes many rare plants and trees which JC Jacobsen brought back from his foreign trips.
|Gl. Carlsberg Vej
||J.C. Jacobsen/N.S. Nebelong/P.C. Bønecke