Falkenberg Brewery, Sweden.JPG

Our first carbon neutral brewery

Carlsberg’s Falkenberg brewery in Sweden now runs on 100% carbon-neutral energy.

Based in Falkenberg, the brewery is 100% powered by biogas and green electricity, reducing carbon emissions from thermal energy and electricity to zero. Falkenberg has been using green electricity for many years, and 26% of its thermal energy comes from biogas generated by the brewery's own wastewater. The remaining 74% will now be natural gas. In cooperation with energy supplier Ørsted AB, this has now been converted to biogas, with certificates ensuring that the biogas supplied to the grid has replaced an equivalent amount of natural gas.

“For many, many years, we have been working to create a more efficient brewery with as little impact on our environment as possible. Now we are taking a big step forward and using solely carbon-neutral energy sources," says Ted Akiskalos, Managing Director, Carlsberg Sverige.

As part of our Together Towards ZERO programme, Carlsberg relies on the ‘best available options’ for developing and sourcing sustainable energy, including the establishment of solar panels and purchasing renewable energy where possible. Sweden’s well-functioning infrastructure and the availability of biogas from the grid mean it is possible to convert to fully renewable sources by buying green energy. In markets where this is not an option, Carlsberg will need to deploy other solutions.

Says Simon Boas Hoffmeyer, Sustainability Director, Carlsberg Group, “Climate change is argueably the most important issue facing our society today, so we are very pleased with the positive development in Carlsberg Sverige.”